Monday, April 14, 2008

I really blew it as a dad this weekend


I’ve been wanting to make a video for the website about why you can trust the Bible--the top 6 reasons the Bible is true (from Mark Cahill’s One Hearbeat Away--a must read for everyone) and I wanted the kids to “star” in it by holding up numbers while dancing and running around. I also wanted them to give the top 6 list on camera in those cute, little kid voices that come so naturally for them. Well, in the midst of a short time frame to work with on Saturday and my eagerness to get the video done, I ended up treating my three kids like a work crew instead of letting them be kids and have fun with the production. AJ, my 9 year old, was really having a good time dancing and singing while I was trying to direct, produce, and film at the same time and he tripped and bit his lip. Instead of being a loving dad who should have made sure he was alright, I let my frustration show by quickly picking up all the filming equipment while voicing my displeasure with the kids’ lack of being able to follow simple directions.
My loving wife, who saw my selfishness, was quick to point out, “You are making this (pointing at the videocamera) more important than them.” I was no more than up the basement stairs when the Holy Spirit grabbed ahold of me and shook me to my senses. What was I thinking? The Word clearly teaches “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4). I had just modeled for my three kids what not to do in that kind of situation.
Within 5 minutes, I was apologizing to AJ and asking for his forgiveness while explaining to him that I let my selfish desires get in the way of what was more important: glorifying God by having a fun time as a family making a video.
That night while praying with the boys at bedtime, I confessed my sin to God so the boys could hear me show respect to my Father in Heaven and thank Him for dying on the cross for my selfishness. It is only because of my repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ that I can even go to God’s throne in such a way.

No comments: